Laws, Rules and Interpretations
Posted: Fri, 09/23/2011 - 2:40pm Updated: Fri, 02/22/2013 - 2:41pm
NOTE: The final version of the new language for Article 7 was signed by the Attorney General and the Governor and filed by Legislative Services on July 14, 2008. This version of Article 7 became effective on August 13, 2008.
Navigating the Course: Finding Your Way Through Indiana’s Special Education Rules
Navigating the Course: Finding your way through Indiana's Special Education Rules was written to provide an overview and a practical resource to help parents, advocates, school personnel, and students understand the requirements of Indiana’s special education rules, found at 511 IAC 7-32 through 47, commonly known as Article 7. It is intended to serve as a companion guide to Article 7, replacing the previous Live, Learn, Work, and Play document and is not a substitute for Article 7. Please refer to Article 7 for the specific language of the special education rules.
Procedural Safeguards and Parent Rights
- Policy Guidance for Use of Seclusion and Restraints in Schoolsas approved by the Indiana State Board of Education (December 2, 2009)
- Proposed Rule IC 20-43-7-9 (HEA 1341): The Expenditure of State Special Education Funds on Services to Nonpublic School Students with Disabilities. See our pages about the Procedural Audit and Fiscal Audit for additional information.
- Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 (ADA): A civil rights law to prohibit discrimination solely on the basis of disability in employment, public services, and accommodations.
- Family Education Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA)
- Individuals with Disabilities Education Improvement Act of 2004
- IDEA - 2006 Regulations
- IDEA: Guide to Frequently Asked Questions
- The NEW IDEA: Council for Exceptional Children's Summary of Significant Issues
- Top 20 List of Changes to IDEA
- No Child Left Behind (NCLB)
- Office of Civil Rights: "Protecting Students with Disabilities"
- Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973