Indicator 5 - Least Restrictive Environment (LRE)
Indicator 5 is a Performance Indicator.
Percent of children with Individualized Education Programs (IEPs) aged 6 through 21 served:
A. Inside the general education class 80% or more of the day;
B. Inside the general education class less than 40% of the day; and
C. In separate schools, residential facilities or homebound/hospital placements.
(20 U.S.C. 1416(a)(3)(A))
A. Percent = [(# of children with IEPs served inside the general education class 80% or more of the day) ÷ (total # of students aged 6 through 21 with IEPs)] x 100
B. Percent = [(# of children with IEPs served inside the general education class less than 40% of the day) ÷ (total # of students aged 6 through 21 with IEPS) x 100
C. Percent = [(# of children with IEPs served in separate schools, residential facilities or homebound/hospital placements) ÷ (total # of students aged 6 through 21 with IEPs)] x 100
- Data: Collected through the DOE-SE (Special Education) report on December 1 and submitted to the Office of Special Education Programs (OSEP) via 618 Table 3 in February. For findings, this data is used in conjunction with information gathered during Least Restrictive Environment (LRE) monitoring visits.
- Findings of Noncompliance: Issued after an LRE monitoring visit occurs as part of an LRE Desk Audit.
- Corrective Action Plan: Due approximately 60 days after findings are issued
Information and Guidance
- Each LEA is on a monitoring rotation for Fiscal Audits. The rotation list is available on the Monitoring page.
- Memo form US-DOE Office of Special Education Programs regarding Preschool LRE requirements and placement, February 2012.
- DOE-SE Report layout and instructions: This is located on the Learning Connection in the "IDOE - Data Collection and Reporting" Community, under the "Files and Bookmarks" tab, in the "Special Education" folder.
- Indicator 5 in the APR (Part B Annual Performance Report): Details about Indiana's statewide results.
Indiana Resource Network
The following Resource Centers provide assistance and information with subjects that affect Indicator 5:
- The HANDS in Autism Resource Center
- Indiana Center for Assessment and Instruction (ICAI)
- The Positive Behavioral Interventions and Supports Indiana Resource Center (PBIS-IN)
- The Indiana IEP Resource Center also provides many resources for Indicator 5 and LRE including informative documents, presentations and podcasts on the Resource Center's website.