Transition to Teaching
Transition to Teaching is based on the premise that the candidate already has the content knowledge in the licensing area. Each accredited education institution is required to offer or be in collaboration with other institutions to offer a Transition to Teaching program. Praxis I and II may be required for admission to the a program. The programs consist of 18 hours for secondary and 24 hours for elementary of education coursework. No education courses are required as prerequisites for admission.
The Office of Educator Licensing and Development now offers a licensing option to individuals who have an advanced degree. By statute, instructional licenses issued under the advanced degree option are available only at the secondary (middle school and high school) grade levels. See IC 20-28-5-15.
Applicants must meet the following criteria to be eligible for a license using the advanced degree option:
- Hold a master’s degree or higher from a regionally accredited postsecondary educational institution in the subject content area in which the applicant seeks to be licensed.
- Verify at least one (1) academic year of experience teaching students in a middle school, high school or college classroom setting.
- Successfully complete the Educational Testing Service (ETS) Praxis II exam appropriate to the applicant’s content area. Scorer report is not required for the evaluation but if a Praxis 2 exam has been completed, please submit scorer report.
- Provide evidence of valid adult CPR/Heimlich Maneuver certification.
Payment/Costs involved for licensure of Advanced Degree
When you apply for an original license there are 2 fees associated with the licensure: an Evaluation Fee and a License Application Fee. The initial payment will be used for the evaluation of your credentials. This fee is $35.00 (plus handling and transaction fees). After the evaluation is completed, a second payment of $35.00 (plus handling and transaction fees) will be due to issue the license. The Office of Educator Licensing will notify you when this payment is due.
To apply for the Advanced Degree submit the following materials:
1. Complete a profile, application and pay for the application through our online Licensing Verification and Information System, LVIS. Click HERE to access LVIS information.
2. A completed Areas for Evaluation form. Select all subjects for which you want to be evaluated. You will only be evaluated for the subjects selected.
3. A copy of your CPR/AED/Heimlich maneuver certification - click HERE for more information and a list of approved providers.
4. Official transcripts that bear the sign and/or seal of the registrar, the degree and date conferred. Provide transcripts for ALL completed coursework at ALL institutions attended. Transcripts must be included with evaluation materials. This also must include your undergraduate degree transcripts as well as any degrees beyond that. Do NOT order transcripts to be sent directly to the Office of Educator Licensing and Development.
5. An official letter verifying Instructional and/or Professional Education Experience. The letter is considered official if it is on school letterhead and signed by an administrator. The letter needs to include dates of employment; subjects and grades taught and/or positions held and must include both the type and status of school accreditation. It is only necessary for the Administrator from your last place of employment to verify all your experience.
6. Official Praxis score reports of licensing tests you may have taken. Official score reports of the Praxis test scores should be sent directly from the Educational Testing Service (ETS). You may contact ETS at www.ets.org. If your test scores have been sent directly to our agency, please include a note indicating this and a copy of your examinee score report.